The best way to explain what the PADI Junior Divemaster course is about is to first, develop your understanding of the PADI Divemaster course.
The Divemaster course is a leadership qualification that is the first course to becoming a PADI Pro. As a Divemaster you’ll supervise scuba diving activities and assist with scuba classes. This often includes being able to guide certified divers and assisting Instructors with their courses. Becoming a Divemaster is a rewarding experience and provides incredible travel opportunities.
To earn your Divemaster rating, you will complete a series of knowledge development sessions, water skill workshops and hands-on assessments for the following:
- The role and characteristics of the PADI Divemaster
- Supervising dive activities and assisting with student divers
- Scuba diver safety and risk management
- Divemaster conducted programs and specialized skills
- Business of diving and your career
- Awareness of the dive environment
- Scuba gear setup and management
- Mapping an open water site
- Conducting dive briefings
- Organizing a search and recovery project and a deep dive
- Conducting PADI ReActivate scuba refresher and skin diver course
- Assisting with Discover Scuba Diving and leading Discover Local Diving programs
The pre-requisites for the divemaster course is as follows:
- 18 years or older
- Rescue Diver, 40 logged dives, CPR and First Aid certification within 24 months, medical clearance to dive
So what is the difference between the Divemaster and the Junior Divemaster course?
Probably the most obvious difference is within the title of the 2 different courses. Originally, to be able to complete the Divemaster course, you had to be at least 18 years of age. For the Junior Divemaster course, you have to be 15 years old.
The course enables those who are between the ages of 15-17, to start developing their knowledge, skills and experience. When they turn 18, they can then complete their full Divemaster course.
The pre-requisites for the Junior Divemaster course are as follows:
- Certified PADI Advanced Open Water Diver & PADI Rescue Diver
- Minimum age of 15
- Logged 20 scuba dives
Once qualified, you will be able to assist with:
- dive site setup and management
- surface support
- Assist a PADI Instructor in 2 person skill demos
- Dive Site briefings (Supervised)
- Environmental and promotional presentations
It’s a fantastic option for those who have an interest in diving and would like to build up their personable skills, develop responsibilities and have a hobby outside of school and or college.
At Diving with Nic, we have already successfully completed the PADI Junior Divemaster course with young people around the area. We have worked with them to achieve their certifications required as well introducing them to the world of diving. We schedule all training on weekends and throughout school holidays to ensure it doesn’t interfere with their education.
Additionally, you may be able to get college credit for the Divemaster course.
At the moment, we’re opening our applications for new Jr Divemasters. Why not get in contact today?